Monday, July 20, 2009

Crossing boundaries!

Reigning hero of South film industry and National Award winner Vikram talks about his debut film in Hindi with Mani Rathnam’s Raavan...........



How excited are you about debuting with Raavan in Hindi films?
I am thrilled. I consider it a boon to be doing this film. Though I cannot reveal much about my role and the film, all I can tell you is that it is a bi-lingual, being made in Hindi and Tamil with the dubbed version in Telugu.

Is the Tamil version called Ashokavanam?

No. It is called Ravana in Tamil but some section of the press has been wrongly calling it Ashokavanam.

How was it to essay the role of a mythological figure like Lord Ram in your first Hindi film?
Like I said, I cannot say much about my role in Raavan but in both the versions I play different characters. In the Tamil version, I play the protagonist while in the Hindi version I play the antagonist.

How was it working with director Mani Rathnam?
It is a wonderful experience to be working with Mani Rathnam. I think he is one of the best directors that Hindi and Tamil films have today. We have known each other since the last eight years, wanted to work together but never got the opportunity. Working with him I have realised that Mani has everything well-planned.

Is it true that since your role was impressive and dominated that of Abhishek Bachchan’s there are plans to re-shoot the film for 30 days?
It is not true. They are baseless rumours. There is no reason to re-shoot as Mani Rathnam is happy with what he has got up till now. The schedule went as planned by him. Raavan is a huge film that has been shot on diverse locations, like waterfalls, forests, huge sets and so on. Six months were spent on planning the film before it went on the floors. Moreover, shooting inside a forest requires the permission of the Forest Department, which takes time to procure. Getting an ensemble cast was also not easy either. The film has mostly big names and busy actors from Hindi and Tamil films like Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Govinda, Prithviraj, Manisha Koirala and Nikhil Dwivedi. It is not easy to re-work their schedules to shoot again.

What was your experience of working with them?
They are all hardworking and great people. I enjoyed working with them.

Aazeek

No comments:

Post a Comment