Monday, June 21, 2010

"Growing up, Mani Ratnam was one of my biggest idols" - Prithviraj


Variously described by critics as giving a "brilliant performance", and of playing the part of Dev in Raavanan "with élan", Malayalam actor Prithviraj has found himself suddenly on the radar of Bollywood audiences, eager to compare the two language versions of the film. Doing a round of the red carpet, the actor gave his support to the cast of Raavan in London, and BollySpice was there to shoot a few quick fire questions.

How did you choose the film?

I didn't choose the film, the film chose me. I got a call from Mr. Mani Ratnam one day, and met him at his office and he narrated the story to me. He asked me if I would like to do the film, and I said I would more than love to do the film and I did it.


How is Mani Ratnam as a director?

I think he specializes in putting actors in places that they are not comfortable in. Right from how you place the camera in a shot to what he would ask your co-actor to do. He would place you in circumstances that as an actor you are not very comfortable with. So what that does to you as an actor is make you look into yourself and makes you do something that you wouldn't normally do. That is the edge you will find in most Mani Ratnam films. It's really phenomenal that his actors are so unpredictable and just waiting to do something that you would not expect them to do.

So were you excited to be working with him on Raavanan?

Coming from the South of India, growing up, Mani Ratnam was one of my biggest idols. My dad Sukumaran was an actor, and he was one of the main actors in Unaru, one of Mani Ratnam's earliest films. When that film happened I was one year old, and now here I am working in this film. So to be part of a Mani Ratnam film, and for him to complement my performance at the end of the shoot, is the biggest thing that could happen to me.


What do you hope for in your future career?

Another Mani Ratnam film! In Indian cinema I don't know what else you would look forward to.

How do you like the red carpet in London?

I love London and actually I don't have a problem with the weather as I come from a part of India, Kerala, where tourists from all over the world come to see the monsoon.

BollySpice could not help but notice Prithviraj's modish suit and designer stubble. We give thumbs up to the new look! Much improvement on the earlier handlebar and primary color knitwear.

By Steven Baker : http://www.bollyspice.com/view.php/5171-growing-up-mani-ratnam-was-one-of-my-biggest-idols-prithviraj.html

......................................................................................
Join Here : http://www.orkut.com/Main#Community?cmm=6136651 [Official Orkut Community of Prithviraj]

Latest Updates : http://twitter.com/PrithviNews

Follow Us : http://twitter.com/PrithvirajBlog
......................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment