Saturday, March 10, 2012

A dream debut for Piaa Bajpai


Piaa Bajpai is very elusive but once she talks her joie de vivre is infectious. For a youngster who has no filmy background to prop her up and to work in Tamil, which was a far cry from her comfort zone of Mumbai, she has achieved success on her own terms.

Piaa’s role of Saroja in the Kollywood blockbuster Ko gave her instant recognition and she will be seen in the upcoming Mollywood flick Masters opposite Prithviraj and Sashikumar.

She is awaiting her big Bollywood debut and reveals, “It is going to be a dream launch where every single scene is centered around me.”

Incidentally, it was Priyadarshan who gave Piaa a break with his commercial and later followed that up with her debut film in Tamil, Poi Solla Poram.

Piaa recounts, “I was thinking of a change from ads to films when Priyadarshan asked me whether I understood Tamil. Without thinking of the repercussions, I answered ‘Yes’.

At that point in time all I knew about Tamil was that it was a south Indian language, but I paid the price for my lie when I started the shoot and found the language incomprehensible.

In the end, I called up Priyan and cried when I confessed. To his credit, he was very sweet and replied that every new girl did face the language barrier initially.’’ Piaa has since starred with Kollywood biggies Ajith, Jeeva and Jai.

For a girl who did several odd jobs and moved bag and baggage to Mumbai alone to pursue her tinsel dreams, Piaa feels that the journey has been worth every hardship she faced. She shrugs and adds, “Life has its ups and downs but it has always been a learning curve and my personal journey has been my own making and I can now share it with pride. I am not here for the money but to do meaningful films. One wrong film can destroy you!’’

Piaa expands on her Mollywood film. She says, “Masters is a very different film to use a clichéd phrase! The Piaa of Masters will not be the bubbly, smiling role I am typecast in but is an experimental film.

I share a good rapport with Sashi because of the Kollywood connection and we spent most of our time sparring over our lines since we were both debuting in Malayalam.

Prithviraj is fun to work with and advised me to just act what I felt. Personally I don’t see any difference across the industries except that Mollywood is more professional.”

The professional Piaa did cry when she watched her Kollywood film Ko at the theatre. “I had never ever done a death scene and when I viewed the film as a spectator, what I saw was the pain the character evoked. That was also the moment where I scored as an actor,” she says.

Piaa is a big fitness freak who is into healthy diets and hits the gym religiously.

She is also a movie buff and like any normal girl loves to go shopping and browse through shopping catalogues. She has no set motto because, according to her, “a target in life makes it limiting.”


SOURCE: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/tabloid/kochi/dream-debut-piaa-bajpai-997


No comments:

Post a Comment